Selenium 100mcg 120 capsules
- In stock
• Powerful antioxidant that protects cell membranes and intracellular structural membranes from lipid peroxidation
• May support cardiovascular health
• May help rid the body of toxic heavy metals
• Reduced selenium levels have been linked to joint disorders
• Low dietary intake of selenium has been linked to higher rates of various degenerative diseases
• May support healthy immune function
• May support healthy brain function
What is Selenium?
Selenium is a trace mineral that is essential to good health but required only in small amounts. Selenium is incorporated into proteins to make selenoproteins, which are important antioxidant enzymes. The antioxidant properties of selenoproteins help prevent cellular damage from free radicals. Free radicals are natural by-products of oxygen metabolism that may contribute to the development of chronic diseases. Other selenoproteins help regulate thyroid function and play a role in the immune system.
Selenium is recognised as an important element of nutrition. Selenium is an important part of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase. It helps protect cells against the effects of free radicals that are produced during normal oxygen metabolism. The selenium used in our product is derived from selenomethionine.
Who needs Selenium and what are symptoms of deficiency?
In most cases of selenium depletion or deficiency are associated with severe gastrointestinal problems, such as Crohn's disease, or with surgical removal of part of the stomach. These and other gastrointestinal disorders can impair selenium absorption. People with acute severe illness who develop inflammation and widespread infection often have decreased levels of selenium in their blood. Physicians will evaluate individuals who have gastrointestinal disease or severe infection for depleted blood levels of selenium to determine the need for supplementation.
People with iodine deficiency may also benefit from selenium supplementation. Iodine deficiency is rare in developed countries but is still common in developing countries where access to iodine is limited. Researchers believe that selenium deficiency may worsen the effects of iodine deficiency on thyroid function, and that adequate selenium nutritional status may help protect against some of the neurological effects of iodine deficiency. Researchers involved in the Supplementation en Vitamines et Mineraux AntioXydants (SU.VI.MAX) study in France, which was designed to assess the effect of vitamin and mineral supplements on chronic disease risk, evaluated the relationship between goiter and selenium in a subset of this research population. Their findings suggest that selenium supplements may be protective against goiter, which refers to enlargement of the thyroid gland.
• Large doses (1mg or more daily) can cause toxicity with symptoms such as: loss of hair and nails, skin lesions, nervous system abnormalities, digestive problems and garlicky breath. Consult a healthcare practitioner if you experience any of these symptoms while taking selenium.
• In long term clinical studies performed by Clark et al. for 16 years, no adverse effects were reported at use levels of 200 mcg/day, in the form of an organic selenium supplement.
• If you are pregnant or lactating consult your health care practitioner prior to using Selenium.
Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule
Servings Per Container: 120
Amount Per Serving:
• Selenium (as L-selenomethionine) 100mcg
Other Ingredients: Rice flour, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate.
Allergen Information: Contains no wheat, gluten, soy, yeast, fish, egg, dairy or lactose, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
Take one (1) capsule, one to two times daily with meals.
Warning: If you are pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the safety seal on the bottle is broken.
Next day Courier Post delivery to most places in New Zealand.