Boswellia 250mg 100 capsules
- In stock
• Standardised to Contain 65% Boswellic Acid
• Reduces general arthritis pain
• Helps prevent the deterioration of cartilage and joint tissue
• Treats the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
• May reduce the number of asthma attack
What is Boswellia?
Boswellia serrata (Sallai Guggal) is an ancient sap-producing tree that is grown throughout Western and Central China. When the tree trunk is tapped, a gummy oleoresin is exuded. A purified extract of this resin is used in modern herbal preparations.
Boswellia serrata has been used for thousands of years as a medicine by the Indian Ayurvedic medical system to treat a variety of common medical ailments ranging from joint pain to stomach upset. Existing scientific studies show that boswellia extract has numerous positive effects on the body.
How does it work?
The active compound in boswellia sap is boswellic acid, and it has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects. The Boswellia from Puritan Pride is standardised to contain 65% of boswellic acids.
Studies have shown that boswellic acids have an anti-inflammatory action — much like the conventional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) used for inflammatory conditions. Boswellia inhibits pro-inflammatory mediators in the body, such as leukotrienes. As opposed to NSAIDs, long-term use of boswellia does not appear to cause irritation or ulceration of the stomach.
Boswellic acid is thought to exert anti-inflammatory effects by preventing the breakdown of connective tissue, and by increasing the blood supply to joint tissues. In one study, boswellia performed better than prescription drugs at reducing the inflammation of osteo and rheumatory arthritis. It also sometimes performs better than aspirin, acetaminophen and other NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory aides) at reducing general arthritis pain.
Why should you take Boswellia?
• Arthritis: Researchers have found that boswellia helps prevent the deterioration of cartilage and joint tissue. Studies in both humans and dogs show after as little as two weeks of boswellia therapy include reduced pain, stiffness, and lameness.
• Crohn's disease: In patients with rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease, boswellia can help reduce the immune cells that promote inflammation while increasing the number of immune cells that inhibit inflammation (anti-inflammatory cells).
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease: In studies of patients with inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease boswellia reduced gastrointestinal inflammation and tissue damage.
• Asthma: There is a scientific basis for boswellia working as an anti-asthmatic drug. And this evidence, combined with the available research in humans, suggests that when boswellia is used chronically, it may reduce the number of asthma attacks. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, the use of 300mg of boswellia serrata 3 times daily led to improvement in signs and symptoms of asthma, including a reduction in asthma attacks.
How much Boswellia is usually taken?
For rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis, we recommend taking one capsule, three to five times per day. In the one clinical trial to date, people with ulcerative colitis used 500mg of boswellia extract three times per day.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects may include minor digestive upset and minor skin rashes.
Serving Size: One (1) Vegetarian Capsule
Servings Per Container: 100
• Boswellia Serrata Extract (gum) 250mg standardised to 65% boswellic acids
Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silica.
Contains No: Yeast, corn, wheat, sugar, salt, starch, soy, dairy, citrus, fish or animal derivatives.
Take one (1) capsule three times daily with a meal.
Warning: If you are pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the safety seal on the bottle is broken.
Next day Courier Post delivery to most places in New Zealand.